Wednesday, April 15, 2015

492 King and yes... Blue ice cubes.


Last night I tried out the new restaurant on upper King, 492 King. Some of you may have read about it in the Charleston paper or just heard the buzz about it through your friends, well indeed it is open! 
492 is located in the old Leon's Mens clothing store across from Union Provisions. It has been said that the building would have colaspsed soon if it weren't for the Relish Restaurant Group purchasing it. The building has been abandoned since hurricane Hugo.
 
Walking into 492 you are hit with sparkle. I LOVE IT. The light fixtures in the place are the most beautiful things I've ever seen. To be honest with you I was so impressed with the lighting I don't remember the other aspects of the decor. You guys will have to go see for yourselves!

The hostess greets you to your left side when walking in. She was friendly and sent us to a cozy bar to the right of the restaurant near the courtyard, while they prepared our table outside. The bar was nice it has large sliding windows to the courtyard for people just having cocktails. 

The drink I ordered was their most popular one, the Disco Sour. It was light and refreshing. It reminded me of a lemonade cocktail. 


The presentation is everything with this drink. It really makes it. 

The bartender was notified that our table was ready and handed us the check to close out. Another hostess showed us to the table that was located out on the patio. The patio area has really good, casual vibes. I dig.

The menu was clearly designed to under promise and over deliver. The descriptions are not going to sell the dishes for you, your server will and even then will not do them justice. We started out with their Lima bean and Mepkin Abbey mushrooms grits with the soft shell crab and pickled vegetables. 



The grits came out still in the pot which I thought was a nice touch, made me feel like I was back at home. The grits were light and different a welcomed change from the cheesey thick grits I've gotten so accustomed to. The Soft Shell Crab was tempura fried perfectly and the pickling on the tiny vegetables was just enough tarte. There was also a sauce with the crab not sure what it was but like everything else it was great. 

The next thing we ordered was the Broccoli Salad. I was not initially excited about it at all but the server said it was the best and if you don't already know, server recommendations are always the way to go. So we went for it and I'm glad we did. It was cooked just enough. It was al dente which I normally don't like but they dressed it with an Asian dressing that broke down the broccoli just a tad bit more and made it perfect topped with craisins and a sesame seed chip. ....still in shock a broccoli salad rocked my world like that. 


The final dish of the night was the Duck Breast 3 ways. Duck pate, duck confit and duck breast with a pistachio sauce and garnish. The duck pate is the best thing I've ever had. It melted in my mouth like butter! Super impressive and beautiful presentation.


So overall, 492 nailed it. I'm no professional but I do live to eat and this place delivered. The price is right, atmosphere is on point and the food and drink are unique and break the mold of the predictable Charleston restaurants. 
Date night, girls night, cocktails or dinner with the parents, this place will do it!
70 dollars for two people? Don't mind if I do! 


No comments:

Post a Comment